Voter Eligibility in PA
In order to register to vote in Pennsylvania, you must first verify that you meet the eligibility requirements, which include the following:
- You are at least 18 years of age the day of or the day before the next municipal, special, primary or general election.
- You are a Pennsylvania resident, and have been for at least 30 days prior to the next municipal, special, primary or general election.
- You are a United States citizen, and have been for at least one month prior to the next municipal, special, primary or general election.
Unless you change addresses or political party affiliation, you will not need to register again. When registering to vote, you must provide accurate and current information on your application. Failure to do so will result in penalties.
How to Register to Vote in PA
The state of Pennsylvania allows residents to register to vote either in person or by mail. It is a matter of simply choosing the option that is most convenient for you, and gathering the necessary paperwork and documentation. See the proper steps you should follow for registering to vote below.
Register to Vote In Person
There are many ways in which a resident can register to vote at a physical location. Pennsylvania makes it easy for individuals to complete the process at several offices across the state, including:
- County Voter Registration offices
- PA Department of Transportation branch
- Offices of Special Education
- County clerk of Orphans’ Court offices
- Marriage License Bureau
- Independent Living centers
- County Mental Health offices
- Armed Forces Recruitment centers
- DA Complementary Paratransit offices
- Public Assistance offices
Register to Vote by Mail
If your preferred option is to register to vote by mail, you will need to fill out a Voter Registration Mail Application form. You can obtain this form online through the Pennsylvania Department of State website, or you can request to have it mailed to you. You can also call 1-800-552-VOTE to find out how to get a voter registration application at a Register to Vote drive near you. When registering to vote by mail, your form must be sent to the County Voter Registration Office in your area.
Verify Your Voter Registration
Are you having a hard time remembering if you registered to vote in the past? Find out about your current voter registration status by checking out the Pennsylvania Department of State Voter Registration Database. You will be asked to enter certain identifiable information, such as:
- Your full name (including middle name, if applicable)
- Your county of residence
- Your date of birth
If you would like to get registration details over the phone, you can call the toll-free number 1-877-VOTESPA. You can also reach out to your County Board of Elections or visit your county website.
Note: The deadline for voter registration is 30 days before the next election. Voters who register after this date will have their information and application processed for a future election.